Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Help

I think this is the only movie I have already seen before this class making it a somewhat strange experience.  What I find looking back is that I did not have any real strong opinion on this movie one way or another.  I did not think that it was bad or boring but at the same time I did not think it was all that great either.  The idea however, was very interesting and there were definitely funny moments.  More than anything that was interesting in terms of character or plot was the extent to which the movie seemed to capture the feel of the time period.  It seemed to accurately portray the lives of people which is a true rarity amongst modern films.
The Jim Crow laws were the written code of the era.  I believe what sticks out to me the most about them is just how much they portray African American people as being untrustworthy and dangerous.  The laws are almost as harsh as to treat people as if they were animals.  I believe that it would actually have been very easy to enforce these laws.  When the country was established it was by people from England and Africans were brought over as slaves.  This made it easy for governmental officials to subjugate people based on race or ethnicity.

1 comment: