Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Memphis Belle

I have very mixed feelings in regard to this movie.  I liked the fact that it was historical but overall I was not particularly fond of it.  It was definitely an interesting subject but for some reason the movie struck me as being just okay.  It was a fun movie to watch and I learned a little more about the strategic bombing runs against Germany as well as learning about the B-17.  I think that one thing that bothered me about the movie was that there were not many interesting characters.  The captain was okay and they did try to have little stories inside the movie but whether it was due to poor acting or poor execution I did not find it to be all that interesting. 
I think that this movie has many content applications to today with the idea of missing during bombing.  From the start of war there has always been civilian casualties as an unfortunate and regrettable part of war.  Unfortunately it is also an unavoidable one.  In World War II Germany would suffer 4.3-5.5 million military deaths and approximately 1.1 million civilian deaths.  The civilian death count is of only allied attacks that directly resulted in the deaths of German civilians meaning that civilians who died as a result of famine (which was a consequence of the war totaling as high as 2.4 million additional deaths) are not included in this number.
I bring this up because I am trying to show that many accusations made against both the United States and other countries who have been conducting recent military operations have been accused of being careless or reckless and causing  unnecessary harm.  Even when the most accurate of technologies available is combined with the most precise aim of the best and most skilled officers in the world there will still be civilian deaths in these conflicts.

No comments:

Post a Comment