Thursday, October 23, 2014

Cinderella Man

I am actually very surprised by the number of good and even great movies we have been able to watch in class as I assumed that like going to the movie theater, around half of the movies would not be so great.  I'm going to be totally honest though and admit that Cinderella Man was the first movie that we watched in this class that I was not overly fond of.  It was not a bad movie so much as it was just, at least for me anyway, something forgettable.  I never became to attached to the story's protagonist and his issues and to some extent I didn't really care about his struggle as much.  Of course what Braddock was going through was sad on a rational level but that was it.  In many but not necessarily most movies there is something that allows you to connect to the protagonist and his struggles.  Whatever that emotional piece is I did not find it in Cinderella Man.
The movie's title is "Cinderella Man".  A comparison to a Disney princess is the last thing I would normally expect when talking about a boxer, yet in this case the title is fitting.  It refers to the unbelievable and almost fairy-tale like story of Braddock's rise to fame and glory in a time of almost complete hopelessness. 
The one scene that I did find to be emotional in this movie was when Jim explains to his son why he can never steal.  People often speculate about how they would act one way in a given situation but I believe often it is hard to tell unless you were actually in that situation.  There are certain things I would not do purely for the sake of my own survival, among them murdering an innocent person, but I would be willing to steal to save my own life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment