Thursday, October 23, 2014

42

Every season brings in another professional sport and marks the end of the last one and in that season I myself probably only watch four to five games a year.  Obviously I am not a huge sports fan, I know few enough of the players on Cavs and even less for the Indians or Browns (being born in Pittsburgh I am really more of a Steelers fan anyway).  The point is though, that because I am not such a big sports fan I normally do not like most sports movies but for some reason 42 was special.  Maybe it was the fact that this movie was well acted, written, and directed or maybe it was just a good story, regardless I very much enjoyed it.  I also recognized Alan Tudyk (though not his name, that I did have to look up) whom I remember from Firefly so it helped that he was in here as well.
Perhaps more than the cast, acting, or directing was the fact that this movie was not so much about a team winning a game as it was about a man challenging the racism in the 1940's society.  Jackie Robinson did a great service not only to African Americans by furthering the civil rights movement, but also to everyone else by helping to shape a society that we can all be proud of.  Mr. Ricky tells Jackie that it was because of him that he could love baseball again, and in a way it is because of him that we can all love America again.
Robinson also claimed that a person's life was measured by the effect it has had on others.  While it is not the only thing that matters it is definitely the most important and by measuring in such a way Jackie has definitely lived a very successful and meaningful life.

No comments:

Post a Comment