Sunday, October 5, 2014

Kill The Irishman

Kill the Irishman was a very different movie from all of the others that we have seen up until this point.  What made this movie different was that it occurred less than a mile from where many of us go on a daily basis (at least for me anyway).  So for that reason I feel like I got some thing out of it that I did not get out of Gladiator or Braveheart but unfortunately there were a few things I did not like about it as well.
I have no doubt that he is a great actor but I did not find Ray Stevenson to be as interesting or inspiring as the stories protagonist as I had hoped he would be.  Though I personally I am not a big supporter of Mel Gibson to his credit he was very good as William Wallace in Braveheart and Russell Crowe was great in Gladiator.  For whatever reason I just didn't find Kill the Irishman to be on the same level as the previous movies.
After watching Kill the Irishman I would have to describe Danny Greene as being complex and in a sort of grey area.  By no means is he morally admirable but neither is he as corrupt as many of the people around him.  There is a piece of me that wants to say that he experienced some sort of moral epiphany or that he had a true desire to change and that is why he ended up in opposition to those who would surely kill him yet I can't bring myself to say that.  I think his motivations were based in pride and in a concern for his own well-being more than for any moral high ground or change.

No comments:

Post a Comment