Saturday, January 10, 2015

Miracle


 As I have probably mentioned before I am really not much a sports fan.  I can only name a handful of teams and I only watch half a dozen games a year, although I do always watch the Steelers play the Browns every year as I was born in Pittsburgh.  That is why it is strange to me that I actually really did like this movie.  When I first heard that this was going to be the next movie we watched I was a little disappointed having already seen it twice.  When the movie ended however I found that I had actually enjoyed it and it seems to be the sort of movie that only gets better every time I see it.  There were parts that were hard to follow however as two players (O'Callahan and McClanahan I think were their names) had very similar names and two player (Possibly the same ones) looked very similar as well. 

The miracle was only partly that we beat the Russians.  What makes it so incredible was that it came at a time when American moral was at an all time low.  Due to the cold war we wanted to prove ourselves and the hostage crisis did nothing to raise our self esteem.  This however did give us something to be proud of,

I have seen this movie exactly once a year for three years in a row now.  It is not intentional but every year there is a teacher who wants to show us this movie.  That alone is proof that this event had a sort of significance that is unmatched by any other sporting event today.  I cannot think of another event that I have lived through that had the same positive aspect.  Though I was not old enough to remember it the 9-11 attacks had the exact opposite effects.  At the turn of the millenia we were #1 at almost everything world wide and the attacks shocked us and seemed impossible and hurt moral as much or more than the miracle on ice had raised it.

No comments:

Post a Comment